December 12, 2012

Student Loans, Novels, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Student Loans
   I owe about 25,000 to the government for my 1 and 1/2 years of college education. I stopped going because it was much too expensive. Every time I signed a student loan agreement I felt like I was signing away my soul. I just got it all sorted out and deferred for six more months. Couldn't ignore it anymore. Stupid private colleges. Stupid love of animals forcing me to want to have a career working with them. Speaking of careers, I need more money. I might have to take a second job, especially if I'm moving out soon.
 
Novels
   I was talking with my Mommy today, like I do when I'm alone. She doesn't actually answer me, but it makes me feel better to imagine her in the room listening to my woes, then giving myself advice that I imagine she'd give. I was basically asking what to do about my situation, and I heard myself-as-Mom reminding me that I had God-given talents and I should use them. Writing. Anyone can self-publish an e-book nowadays. I have the story in my head, I should just type it up.
   Why not? I have plenty of free time in the evenings, I can type what ever I feel like, then sort it all out in chronological order. Plus! Figure my book sells for 7.99 online. Three of that would go to the selling company, and since I don't have any printing costs or publishing company fees, I'd make a profit of about $2 per book minus taxes and other fees. Well, then let's sell 10,000 books online. Not a best-seller, but respectable. That's 20,000 in my pocket. Not bad extra money.
 
The Partridge
   My dear, sweet father in law is kicking us out. He's selling the house in spring, and if we don't find a HOUSE to live in, we're screwed. Even just a studio apartment with no bedroom is $500 a month around these parts. Together, Kibbin and I are making roughly $1200 per month. Bills as of now are about $400, and gas and other expenses add up pretty quickly. We need to find a house. I hope our credit is good enough, but I wouldn't count on it. A mortgage on a decent 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home would be around 700-900 per month depending on interest rates and all that jazz. Add my father and sister paying rent of $500 per month for use of 2 of the bedrooms, and we're down to 200-400 per month. Cheaper than an apartment. We'll be able to manage household bills with the extra money. Plus, if we have a good enough basement, we can add in another roomate for less, like $200. Then it would just fall on us to pay the property tax and whatnot, and we can finally begin saving up for a dream house AND paying off some student loans. I just need my credit to go through for financing. 
Living on a Prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment